Countdown to Commercial Move Day – Your Timeline
Your business has outgrown its premises – piles of files are everywhere, and your staff are squeezed in like sardines. On the other hand, it might be financial impetus driving your move, as more and more businesses are fleeing the capital for the cheaper rates and rents up north.
But whatever category you fall into, it’s clear – you can’t delay your commercial move any longer. Now it’s time to start planning ahead. This handy tick list will help you organise your business ready for move day – for less stress, and less potential for any major, business-disrupting hiccups.
Your Commercial Move Count Down…
- Let your employees know, provide them with the address and moving day itinerary.
- Let your insurers know that you’re moving, and buy additional coverage for the moving day.
- Organise the order of new furniture and/or machinery.
- Gather quotes and book redecorating and/or maintenance services.
- Check whether the new office set up will meet health and safety laws.
- Get in touch with internet, telephone and utility providers to let them know when they’ll need to switch your supply.
- Currently renting? It’s time to let your landlord know about your move.
- Request a floor plan of your new building.
- Plan ahead for arranging your furniture (in particular, you should pay attention to the plug sockets).
- Label all of your computer equipment so you can set up your desks on arrival without plenty of confusion.
- Arrange for your new electronic equipment to be PAT tested.
- Set up a mail re-direct.
- Create a coloured coded sticker system to show which boxes go in which room.
- Begin packing up the items you don’t need each day.
- Either sell or donate the items that you won’t use again.
- Let your customers know about your move.
- Make an inventory of all the items that you’ll be taking.
- Back up your data.
- Buy in extra extension cables.
- Pack up the remaining items.
- Make sure your removals company is clear on both the old and new addresses.
Make sure move day is problem free, with our guide: Yorkshire Office Removals – How to Plan for an Undisrupted Business.
Wondering whether an upgrade on space is needed for your company? Read our guide: Four Sure-Fire Signs Your Business is Ready for a Move.
Don’t fancy roping your office workers into heaving your commercial worldly goods from A to B? You know where we are if you need us. Get in touch to discover how affordable our York commercial moving service is.