How to pack your moving van like a Jedi Knight
“Train yourself to let go of everything you fear to lose”
OK, that may not be the best Yoda quote to use when it comes to moving. But the point is, we’re Yoda, and you’re our Luke Skywalker – by the end of this blog, you’re going to be transformed into a Jedi Master mover.
Leia Organa Solo: “You must work together, discover things you don’t know, fight what must be fought, but the one thing you cannot do is give up!”
First of all, without professional movers, you’re going to need all the help you can muster. Ask friends, ask family, and make sure you’re all well versed on lifting heavy items without doing your back in (speaking of which, you may want to read our blog: Put your back into it: The slipped disc-free method for moving large items).
“Patience you must have, my young padawan” –
Don’t rush into it, you’re going to need to take it slow and steady if your boxes aren’t to tip and your back isn’t to be strained. So first of all, you’ll need to gather the following loading essentials…
- A dolly – for shifting and loading the heaviest items
- Paper padding, blankets, plastic stretch wrap, and furniture pads – to help protect your furniture and bulky goods
- Packing tape – for holding the protective padding in place
- Straps – so you can strap the items in for transit
- A large tarp – which will cover the truck floor to stop it from getting dirty
Keep your mind in the present
Jedi’s have to focus solely on the present, and making sure you have items for the here and now will serve you well come move day, so be sure to load the following things into the van cab or into your car…
- Your overnight bag – this should contain all that you need for a day and night (at minimum) including clothes, cosmetics and personal care items
- Food and drinks – and things to prepare them (such as your kettle, cups, pots and pans)
You’ll also want to transport items prone to breaking, such as…
- Fragile belongings, such as valuable plates, glass, and light bulbs
- Computers, tech and small electronic items
Yoda: “that place is strong with the Dark side, in you must go”
Luke: “what’s in there?”
Yoda: “only what you take with you”
Before you venture into the dark of the van’s interior, position everything out on the street to see how much space you’ll need. Then proceed to move the largest, heaviest items in first. You should aim to pack 2–3 foot tiers of items, and then wrap a strap around the items when you’re done. Each layer will then be held firmly in place while moving from A to B. At this point, you can add in extra blankets in between any items that may move around while travelling.
And with that, you are ready for the world. Now go forth and move – the force is with you. And for the van, our Self-loading removals in York can help with that. Alternatively, you can call Ralph, owner of Van Man York (and Yoda-worthy mover!) on 07931 849 112, or get in touch with the office via phone or email: 01904 375 995 | firstname.lastname@example.org.