The Best Restaurants in York
Part of the excitement of moving to a new territory is learning about your surroundings. There is so much to see and do in York and the surrounding areas that you’ll never grow bored. Perhaps most important is learning where to eat though, especially if you’re looking for the perfect end to a romantic date.
After completing a move, you’re certainly not going to be in no mood to cook. Even if you have managed to unpack your cutlery and kitchen appliances, you’ll be exhausted. Takeaway or delivery is always an option – but why not experience one of the many fine eateries in the city?
York can offer two Michelin-starred dining experiences. The Star Inn at Harome and Oldstead’s Black Swan are cosy, inn-style experiences. Even beyond these options, however, there is a plethora of fine food available in the city.
Best Steak and Burger Restaurants in York
Sometimes, strong and simple is the way to go. If you’re looking for a quality steak or juicy burger, there are plenty of options in York.
- El Gaucho (48 Walmgate, YO1 9TJ) provides genuine Argentinian steak that melts upon the tongue in a hip, bistro-style environment.
- The Cut & Craft (8 St. Sampsons Square, YO1 8RN) pairs quality cuts of meat with a selection of craft beers, making it the perfect place to spend an evening for enthusiasts of both.
- Burgsy’s (9 Castlegate, YO1 9RN) brings the great American institute of the hand-prepared burger to the north of England, with results that need to be tasted to be believed.
Best Italian Restaurants in York
Few things are more comforting than a hearty Italian meal. If you’re looking for a high-quality pizza, lasagne or pasta dish in York, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
- Buongiorno (Acomb Wood Drive, YO24 3XN) will leave you convinced that you’re dining in Sardinia, such is the nature of the food and decor this Italian restaurant.
- L’uva Vino e Cucina (5 Bridge Street, YO1 6DD) specialises in delicious handmade pizzas, whether to eat in or take away.
- Delrio’s (10-12 Blossom Street, YO24 1AE) is a large restaurant that offers a wide array of different cuisine with an Italian flourish – including gelato to die for.
- Little Italy (12 Goodramgate, YO1 7LQ) offers exactly what the name suggests. Great food, exemplary service and a bona fide Latin experience in a quaint eatery.
Best Indian Restaurants in York
There are times in life than only a spicy culinary trip to India will do. York has plenty of astounding curry houses that are sure to satisfy any craving for such a dish.
- Coconut Lagoon (56 Clarence Street, YO31 7EW) is a hugely well-regarded Indian restaurant in York. Better yet, it’s reasonably priced – with judicious and tactical ordering, this amazing eatery can also qualify for our budget picks.
- The Bengal Brasserie (21 Goodramgate, YO1 7LW) pairs amazing and attentive service with some of the finest curries in Yorkshire – some even claim this restaurant wouldn’t be out of place in nearby Bradford, the Curry Capital of Britain. Bombay Spice (58 Goodramgate, YO1 7LW) is equally impressive, and is based just up the road.
- 29 States (12-13 Tower Street, YO1 9SA) is a little costlier than the competition, but it’s also more luxurious. If you’re willing to push the boat out for a fantastic Indian meal in the centre of town, your taste buds will thank you for it.
Best Chinese and Thai Restaurants in York
For a little taste of the Orient, York is a great city. You’ll be able to pick from any number of eastern eateries.
- Bamboo Thai (11 Hull Road, YO10 3JL) provides a lip-smacking selection of tantalising Thai food, and is often referred to as the finest Asian restaurant in the city.
- Upper River (61 Gillygate, YO31 7EA) is a family-run restaurant that brings a mouthwatering taste of Hong Kong to York. The excellent food is also paired with an authentic Chinese atmosphere.
- The Mulan Cantonese (Tower Court, Oakdale Road, Clifton Moor, YO30 4WL) earns rave reviews for its traditional Chinese meals, especially the sweet and sour chicken. With plenty of seating space, this is definitely a restaurant to try.
Best Vegetarian and Vegan Restaurants in York
If you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, you won’t need to settle for a side salad at a steakhouse in York. There are a number of eateries dedicated to this lifestyle choice.
- Humpit (12A Church Street, YO1 8BE) is a hummus and pita bar that’s perfect for anybody looking for a quick vegan bite to refuel while shopping in the city.
- Robinsons Café (7-9 Bishopthorpe Road, YO23 1NA) does not offer a veggie- or vegan-specific menu, but you’ll find a pleasantly surprising number of options available here.
- Melton’s (7 Scarcroft Road, YO23 1ND) brings a touch of the Mediterranean to York, which means a wide variety of delicious salad and vegetable-based meals.
- The Taylor Made Kitchen (5 Silver Street, The Paddock, YO1 8RY) is another small, family-owned eatery that provides a number of menu items that will delight any vegetarian or vegan.
Best Budget Restaurants in York
It’s possible that you’ll need to dine out on a budget in York, especially if you’re a student. Thankfully, not every option is expensive. There is plenty of wallet-friendly nosh available in the city.
- The Perky Peacock Coffee Shop (North Street Postern Tower, YO1 6HU) offers delicious drinks and excellent snacks at wholly reasonably prices. It’s also located inside a medieval tower, ensuring that you can drink in local history as well as coffee.
- The Pig & Pastry (35 Bishopthorpe Road, YO23 1NA) is manna from heaven for anybody that emptied their bank account in a nightclub the night before. This café is a little off the beaten track but offers astonishing bacon sandwiches at financially friendly prices.
- Puddin’ & Pie (7 Bishopthorpe Road, YO23 1NA) is located just up the street from the Pig and Pastry. This diner offers equally affordable but heartier fare. As the name suggests, this is essentially a pie and mash shop and the offerings are truly delectable.
The dining opportunities are reason enough to relocate to York. If you’re keen to make the move to God’s Own County, remember that we’re always on hand to assist in moving you into the area.